Thursday, 15 August 2013

London - the aftermath

Ok that wasn't a great title but I wanted something original.
Anyway I'm back home!
(Actually since Tuesday evening but I had some struggles with uploading pictures, thanks again for that Blogger.)

I had a GREAT time.
Fabulous. Splendid.
We (my Mum and I) slept as little as possible,
my feet are dead and I think I lost a few kilos since we walked sooo much.
No, this wasn't a relax vacation, and that is exactly the way we wanted it.
The weather was great!
Quite warm and it was only raining once, which is very acceptable for London.
We visited a museum every day, (except for the day we arrived which is forgivable I think), so that equals 7 museums.
Might as well write 'em down here..!

London Transport Museum
Churchill War Rooms
George Frederic Handel House
British Museum
Florence Nightingale Museum
Tower of London
Museum for Advertising, Packaging and Brands

My favourite of all these was by far the Winston Churchill War Rooms!
That is sort of a huge basement where his Cabinet was seated during WWII, everything happened there basically. Including plans being made on winning the war.
Amazing! I am actually looking forward to visiting it again.

The London Transport Museum was pretty cool as well, I took so many photos, you can see a selection further in this post. There was also a really nice exhibition with transport advertising art!

I'm a huge fan of Handel's but this House was a bit disappointing... the museum wasn't very structured and I'd seen it all in no time.

The British Museum! Why hasn't anyone told me the admission was free?!
That's amazing. I especially liked the Enlightenment rooms and the ancient Assyrian war art.

Florence Nightingale Museum was small and/thus very cute! Very interesting, nice setting..
Definitely worth a visit. (oh in case her name doesn't ring a bell, she had kind of revolutionized modern European health care. Great woman.)

The Tower of London (not to be confused with the Tower Bridge) was nice, but soo crowded.
Didn't get to see the Crown Jewels for instance, or the Torture Tower. Meh.

Our last museum was also a very cute one!
Advertising, packaging and brands from the Victorian era to present - amazing vintage ads all the way!
Hooray! It is a small museum hidden in an eenie meenie courtyard (if that's the word? A sort of square with merely houses and no cars allowed.)
Close to Portobello Road. Do visit it!
I wasn't allowed to make photos, but here's their website: http://www.museumofbrands.com/
The admission is very reasonable, too.

Next to those museums, we had some other cultural or 'cultural' things on our programme as well:
We went to a Handel + Mozart concert in St. Martin-in-the-Fields church, which was amazing.
Also we did stuff the English do:
We had an afternoon tea, fish and chips, pie in a pub, and English breakfast.
And it was all yummy, of course.
BUT! Above all...

My mum took me to...
The Mousetrap!
It is the world's longest running play, and it's by Agatha Christie herself, so what more could a human being want. It was brilliant and so was the cute little theatre.
We had absolutely the best places although I think there was a woman who brought her puppy, we heard weird barking/coughing sounds all the time!

Now I am going to break loose with my photos.
This was my attempt to get a multicultural photo!
An Egyptian sphinx and a double decker bus, if you look closely.
Hehe.







Sewing machine heaven! This wasn't even everything. All Saints clothing shop at Portobello Road

Hmm, not entirely straight I see now. Anyway cool ceiling at the British Museum.

Draw me like one of your French girls, hehe xD


Nursing adverts at the Florence Museum

These photos only represent a small part of the afternoon tea...




Beautiful Serpentine river at Hyde Park... wish we had discovered this part of the park earlier and could've  enjoyed it more. :|



Shot from the Bloody Tower 
So I didn't get to see the Crown Jewels (something I don't regret terribly much) but I did spot this art in a tunnel on our way to the Tower! 

Elizabeth I

Henry VIII


Kind of liked this one! Kensington Gardens and Kensington Palace, Victoria from the back. Plus dark skies. 

At our last evening we had a super yum Moroccan dinner just a few metres from our hotel!
This was our dessert, Moroccan tea + sweets  = the best <3
 
Sorry for the very random photos. Shame on me. 

NB: 
We went by train, and after this I don't understand why so many Dutch, French and Belgian people wouldn't even think of that!
It's way faster than an aeroplane (not the actual journey but checking in and handing in your luggage always takes so long on airports), and cheaper too. 
Please consider travelling by train!  
It's great. 

My London purchases will be the main subject of my next blogpost - but don't be afraid, I didn't buy an awful lot in this excellent shopping city.

Thanks for reading!
x Jessica

2 comments:

  1. Greetings from Finland!
    I have also seen that sewing machine wall in All Saints, it was pretty awesome.
    Sounds like you had awesome time rummaging through all those museums :D

    I have seen the Crown Jewels and I have to say, you didn't miss much. They are in a room with bunch of security guys. If I remember rightly (it was already in 2005 when I saw them) jewels (or their replicas, how are we suppose to know) were placed under glass in the middle of the room and on both sides there were travelators (or moving walkways if you prefer) you had to take. So those travelators took you through the room and that's all you was allowed to do. You was not allowed to stop or wander around to see jewels better, just rapidly slide past them. I understand it's a security feature, but how boring and stupid! So everyone had about couple minutes to take a look and that was it. Not very exciting.

    Greetings
    Rhia from
    http://www.evildressmaker.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh my I'm so happy with your comment!
      Not that - as I said- I regret very much not having went to see the Crown Jewels, but still this cheers me up. :)
      I read it out to my Mum, she was smiling too. xD

      Thanks again! ^^

      xoxo

      Delete