Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Anne Frank

A couple of weeks ago I had two of my cousins over, Lois of 9 and Lucas of 6.
Lois and I got to speak about Anne Frank, and suddenly I remembered that when I was (a little younger than) her age, I was gifted a beautiful book about this young girl (not her diary itself).

To be honest I hadn't read/looked at the book for years, so now I viewed it with different eyes so to speak.

And I wanted to share some fragments with you!
It's in Dutch of course, but I found the pictures so beautiful and striking that every non-Dutchie will understand what they try to tell as well.

For your information:
I have the weird habit to tilt my (iPhone) camera while taking photos, especially books, so you might have some neck pain if you watched all photos thoroughly.

LOTS of photos...


I have exactly the same kind of coat...


Older sister Margot has a baby sister!






Kristallnacht


Moving from Germany to Amsterdam



Anne's Dad's office - and the annex where the family would hide




Bye bye kitty...


Moving in


Anne did keep her Hollywood movie star photos while in hiding



There was one little light in her horrible life: Peter


This is not really my favourite picture in the book. She must've looked WAY more frightened, I mean, they were traced!

The famous diary pages were all over the floor but -luckily for us- saved

And handed to the only survivor of the Frank family: Otto
So, what'cha think?
It's a kid's book, so maybe there isn't too much of symbolisation as you would expect in such a book, but I think the pictures beautifully show how Anne was just a girl, just like us, just with friends and just having crushes.

At the second photo, I mentioned that I have the same winter coat as Anne's.
Of course I realise that a subject like Anne Frank is way too serious to get to talk about her clothes, but girls and women like her are sort of the reason of this whole 'vintage thing' for me.
They symbolise a horrible era that brought out the worst, but also the best in people. Think of 'our boys' and people in the resistance and people that hid, for example, jews in their own houses.
That takes in immense amount of courage that in time of peace, not much people would have.

When I wear 1940's clothing, I obviously don't support anything of the Nazi regime, as some morons tend to think. No, I wear it out of respect for the women of that time, who were talented in picking outfits both stylish and practical, and then got on with their lives.


Jessica

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting post! It's a lovely book about such a terrible tragedy. I would love to be able to find a copy of this in English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!! I just came across your blog courtesy of Jessica at Chronically Vintage!!
    Your blog is so lovely!!
    I was in Holland a few years ago visit family and I never had a chance to visit the Anne Frank Haus and I wish I would have!
    The book is wonderfully illustrated! thanks for sharing

    Lindsey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lindsey,
      thanks for your comment!
      And also for the other comment on the Albert Heijn post:)
      Oh that's sad, but hopefully you did have the chance to visit some other must-sees.

      Thanks for reading me:)
      x

      Delete